Emergency Response Quick Guide
In the event of fire, or other life-threatening emergency, contact campus safety immediately at 911 from a campus phone, or 632-6350 from a cell phone, for the fastest response time. http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/emergency/index.shtml
Your personal safety and the safety of others is your first priority. In the event of a major emergency to a collection follow the following procedures:
- Identify the emergency or threat to collection(s).
- Report the emergency or threat to collection(s) to the appropriate response group.
- Evacuate the area of personnel and patrons, and take appropriate safety measures.
- In the event of a non-life threatening emergency, cordon off the area. In the event of fire or other life-threatening emergency, evacuate the building. Do not try to fight a fire or other emergency alone! Your safety comes first!
- Assemble a recovery response group of willing and capable library and campus employees.
- Re-enter the area once the ‘all clear’ has been given by first responders, or library/facilities personnel arrive to provide assistance.
- Begin protecting materials and assessing the damage.
- Begin to control and stabilize the environment.
- Begin material recovery procedures, see Emergency Response Manual below.