1. Identification, evaluation, and triage of library material needing preservation measures.
This program element is carried out on an ongoing basis and is largely dependent on library staff outside the Department of Preservation Services – the Access Services Department and other departments as well – who assist in the identification of items that need preservation evaluation, triage, and treatment.
2. Repair and stabilization actions using effective, nondestructive preservation and conservation treatments.
Current treatment options utilized in the Department are: commercial rebinding and re-casing, house repairs for basic re-mediation, construction and application of protective enclosures, preservation photo-duplication and microfilming for quality item replacement, and vendor out sourcing when advanced and specialized conservation work is indicated. In all decisions and actions, nationally and professionally accepted preservation standards and techniques are adhered too.
3. Maintenance of materials and collections.
This element includes a number of ongoing concerns and actions that are basic to the preservation program's success. They are:
4. Providing protection to “last” or “dwindling” copies of books and other materials in the library’s collection
And beyond the library's holdings, determining if any item should be retained or whether possible replacement or reformatting (according to nation preservation standards) is a better option.
5. Collaborating closely with the Department of Special Collections and University Archives, the Music Library and Maps Section.
These three areas hold some of the library’s most special, rare and valuable resources, so the Department aims for regular evaluating, determining, and addressing of those preservation and conservation needs.
6. Participation in the continued development of an electronic resources program and adopting strategies and procedures for the sustainable preservation of digital items and collections.
• Request a Class
• Hours & Locations
• Ask a Librarian
• Special Collections
• Library Faculty & Staff
• Stony Brook Home
• Campus Maps