CWYW stands for Cite While You Write, a plug-in from EndNote that connections your library of citations to Microsoft Word. Please check for compatibility. With CWYW you can add citations to your paper while simultaneously creating a bibliography,. You can easily change to another style if needed and you can update your in-text citations and references in one click.
First make sure that:
- all the references you would want to use for your paper or manuscript are already added to the EndNote Library
- open EndNote and Word to begin
Then there are two basic ways to insert citations.
Start from a Word document
- With EndNote installed on the same computer as Word, you should see an EndNote tab in your Word menus.
- In the EndNote menu, select a citation style from the Style menu. If the style you need is not listed, choose Select Another Style.
- To insert the citation(s) into your manuscript, make sure the cursor is at the appropriate place in the document.
- Click on Insert Citation from the EndNote menu.
- You will have to search your EndNote library to find the citation you want to add, select it, then Insert.
- The selected citation(s) will appear in the text, and the reference(s) will be placed at the end of the document in the format you chose.
Start from the EndNote Library
- Open a Word document.
- Select a citation style from the EndNote menu.
- Make sure the cursor is at the appropriate place in the Word document.
- Open the EndNote Library and highlight the citation you want to insert.
- Click on the Insert Citation icon (a quotation mark) .
- The citation(s) will appear in the text, and the reference(s) will be placed at the end of the document in the format you chose.