Many funding agencies now require a data management or sharing plan with proposal submissions. This page provides general guidelines for the development of a data management plan (DMP), but be sure to check for more specific information from your funding agency directorate and in your grant's call for proposals. For a full list of agency requirements, please visit the this page.
There are three options for getting help with a data management plan:
- Use the online resources (below);
- Use the information and resources in this web site (see pages at left);
- Request a one-on-one consultation with our data management specialist.
Online resources for creating data management plans
- DMPTool has templates for many funding agencies and specific content for SBU investigators (recommended)
- DMP Online, by the UK's Digital Curation Centre, has templates for DMPs for many funding groups within the UK
- ICPSR web site on data management plans, for social sciences data management planning
- Fill out the data management plan questionnaire from Johns Hopkins University Word document), and/or use their guide for reviewing DMPs to assess your own plan before you submit it.
- Example DMPs from the Data Observation Network for Earth (DataONE).