Finding cited references for a particular article in Web of Science:
1) Go to the Library's homepage at https://library.stonybrook.edu/.
2) Click on the databases link.
3) Click on W in the databases A-Z list.
4) Click on Web of Science.
5) Go to the Basic Search drop down menu, located under the Search and Web of Science Core Collection tabs.
6) Select Cited Reference Search.
7) Search using preferred methods: Cited Author, Cited Work, and/or Cited Year(s) to increase the number of cited reference variants found. Cited reference variants refer to articles that are cited incorrectly.
> Cited Author:
Enter the leading author’s last name and first initial with an asterisk(*).
Click on the Select from Index link, located under the "Cited Author" box to find the author's name. Copy and paste the author’s name in the cited author field.
> Cited Work:
Click on the View abbreviated list link, located under the cited work field to find the abbreviated title of the journal where the article was published. Copy and paste the abbreviated journal title in the cited work field.
Click on the Select from Index link, located under the "Cited Work" box to find the abbreviated title of the journal where the article was published. Copy and paste the abbreviated journal title in the cited work field.
Example of a Cited Reference Search.
8) Select cited references, including relevant variants from the search results.
> Note: Click on the SHOW ABBREVIATED TITLES link, under the Cited Work to view if there is any different title name included in the search. If so, exclude the cited reference(s) from the selection.
9) Click “Finish Search” to view the total result of selected cited references.
Finding cited references for a non-journal article in Web of Science: a work of art, a book, or a newspaper article:
Follow the steps in “Finding cited references for a particular article” but note the following:
For a book cited reference search,
> Enter the book title in the Cited Work field to include different editions.
> Enter the book chapter title in the Cited Title field.
Library Administration: 631.632.7100
Except where otherwise noted, this work by SBU Libraries is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.