History of Stony Brook University
After two years of careful deliberations and intensive planning, SUNY announced the opening of the State University College on Long Island. The Board of Regents authorized William Robertson Coe's exquisite 350-acre former arboretum-estate, Planting Fields, as a temporary campus, while a new campus was prepared in historic Stony Brook, on a 480-acre tract of land donated by philanthropist Ward Melville. The first day of classes commenced on September 17, 1957.
One hundred and forty-eight students were enrolled in classes at the tuition-free, State University College on Long Island at Oyster Bay. The College's administrators were served with the mandate to "prepare teachers of science and mathematics for secondary schools and community colleges." Course offerings were initially limited to Humanities, English (Communications), German, Social Sciences, Education, Mathematics, and Natural Science. SUNY expanded the College’s scope a year later to include degree programs in the fields of science, mathematics, and engineering. More...
About Special Collections and University Archives
The department also extends its services to researchers in the wider geographic region, nationally, and internationally. Holdings include: books, manuscripts, and maps dating from the 15th century; the University Archives; audio/visual materials; and a digital repository.
The University Archives is comprised of over 1,000 linear feet of records including faculty files, administration records, photographs, and publications that document the history of the University. The Archives is also the official repository for Stony Brook's master theses and doctoral dissertations and the Stony Brook Authors and Editors Collection.
Momentum: A Transformative Year
Department Head & Associate Librarian
Kristen J. Nyitray
Head, Special Collections & University Archives
Frank Melville, Jr. Memorial Library, E-2320
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3323