The Government Documents Law Collection is located on the second floor Core of the Frank Melville, Jr., Memorial Library and is open to the public. Enter either from the Central Reading Room or from the second floor of the Science & Engineering Library. For assistance with the collections, please ask at the Reference Desk in the Central Reading Room. Melville Library maintains a collection of printed materials adequate for conducting limited legal research. The collection includes:
- United States Statutes at Large - Government Documents - - KF50 .A11, Holdings: v. 13,15-122 (1863/1864-2008)
- United States Code - Government Documents KF62 1982 .A2 Holdings: v. 1-35 + Supplement I-V Documents KF50 .A11, Holdings: v. 13,15-120 (1863/1864-2006).
- Popular Name Tool of the United States Code Service
- United States Code Service in LexisNexis (Stony Brook only) - Contains the statutory code for the United States of America as
- published in the compilation entitled United States Code Service. It includes all laws of a general and permanent nature, as enacted by the United States Congress.
- United States Code Annotated - Government Documents KF5401 .A3 U5 Holdings: Titles 1-50 + numerous Tables, Indexes, Guides, Pamphlets, Special Editions and cumulative and statutory supplements
- New York State Statutes and Annotated Laws including McKinney's Government Documents KFN5030 1939 .A23
- Official compilation of the codes, rules and regulations of the State of New York (NYCRR) All current Federal and New York State rules and regulationsincluding Government Documents KFN5035 1960 .A2 - Holdings: v. 1-15A,16-22+ Index A and B
- Digests of Supreme Court, federal, and New York State court cases
- American Law Reports provides information on court cases of other states: Docs KF132 .A542 Holdings: v. 1-9A covering A-Z, updated to March 2003 Holdings: Note: this title is no longer being updated
The Law Collection also houses legal reference materials, such as special dictionaries Black’s law dictionary Main Library Reference - Reference Desk Collection - KF156 .B53 1999 - No Loan and Encyclopedias: West’s encyclopedia of American law. Main Library Reference KF154 .W47 - OVERSIZEx Holdings: v. 1-12.
The Government Documents Section Law Collection is strong in the areas of the Supreme Court, Federal Court, and New York State Courts. We collect only the decisions and indexes for Supreme, Federal, and New York State court cases. We also own ALR series 1-5, which includes some selected cases from other states. We have various legal indexes and encyclopedias.
The Government Information Collection owns some major sets of legal resources on paper, microfiche, CD-ROM. and online legal and congressional resources are available to Stony Brook Faculty, Students and Staff through Academic Universe and ProQuest's Congressional Collection.
Some of the library’s major paper, microfiche and publically accessible online sets include:
- United States Congressional Serial Set Volumes- Also available in print, microfiche and microcards in the following locations:
- Print - Government Documents J11 .A32 Holdings: no. 193., 1st sess.-no. 13863, 100th Cong., 2nd sess. (1830-1988)
- Microfiche A141 - Holdings: no. 7246 (65th Cong.)-no. 14525 (105th Cong. 2nd sess.), no. 14532 (106th Cong. 1st sess.)-no. 14801 (107th Cong. 1st/2nd sess.), no. 14802 (108th Cong. 1st sess.)-no. 14931 (108th Cong. 2nd sess.).
- Microprint 8 Holdings: no. 1, 15th Cong., 1st sess.-no. 7245, 64th Cong., 2nd sess. (1817-1916/1917)
- United States Statutes at Large (online)
- Print: Government Documents KF50 .A11, Holdings: v. 13,15-120 (1863/1864-2006).
- United States Code online Print: Government Documents KF62 1982 .A2
- New York State Laws (online)
- McKinney's Consolidated Laws of New York State - Government Documents KFN5030.1939 Kept up to date with annual cumulative pocket parts.
- Various Digests of Federal Supreme Court Cases
- Various levels of New York State Courts Collections.
- American Law Review Series 1-5 - Government Documents KF132 .A522 (1919-1948); Government Documents KF132 .A523 (1948-1965)
Other legal materials are cataloged for the Main Library Stacks and may be found by using STARS.